<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Poetry Arrived In Search Of Me
Y fue a esa edad...Llego la poesia a buscarme. -Pablo Neruda

My head is in the air, but who am I?

Thursday, October 20, 2005
This is just to say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold
-William Carlos Williams

I met my friend James when I was a freshman in high school. He was a year older and seemed so funny and alterna cool. I was, um..not. But I can remember being at lunch, and for some reason we started talking about William Carlos Williams.

It was one of those moments that you remember decades later. My insecure fourteen year old heart couldn't believe that there were other people who loved what I did, and certainly not this guy that was so far above me in the high school pecking order. I think our early teens are generally about being ashamed of everything we are, and trying desperately to be someone else, who, ironically, is also ashamed and afraid. When you find out that you might not be as repulsive as you once thought, it is a revelation.

James and I have been friends ever since, and I wonder how a simple, sweet poem about a fruit thief could make me one of my favorite friends in the world and lead to a pretty fantatsic adolencesence. I actually enjoyed my high school years, and it's mostly due to Mr. Carlos Williams. That's the power of poetry, me thinks: the ability to evoke such powerful emotions in the shortest, most efficient way possible. They have to make a connection quickly, and it enables others to do so as well. I've found quite a few connections through poetry, and the most important of them have been with myself.

By the way, my favorite-est James writes poetry as well as reads it: http://eyeforaniris.com/home.html
9:40 AM :: ::
<< Home
Kasey :: permalink